LALITHA [ LALITA ] SAHASRANAMA ललिता सहस्रनाम MAI SAHASRANAMA माई सहस्रनाम
171) Lobhanaashini लोभनाशिनी – Destroyer of all temptations, i.e., of weakness, ignorance,etc., which yielding of anyone to the temptations. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 171
172) Nis-samshayaa निःसंशया – Without doubt.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 172
The greatest doubts are regarding existence of Mother, the immortality of the soul, the Karmic Law and about the final success of goodness and truthfulness.
173) Samshay-aghni संशयघ्नी – Destroying doubts.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 173
So long as real conviction regarding above is not there, solid progress does not begin. On the other hand , after that the conviction about the above is rooted, doubts regarding Mother’s Grace and one’s own progress and actual religious plane rise. On reaching that stage it is others who have to tell him that he is favored with Mother’s Grace, etc. In some form or the other, however, temporary doubts do remain, till the man finally merges in Mother. It is one of the characteristics of the mind to the doubtful, although it may be only for a few moments.
174) Nirbhavaa निर्भवा – Without origin. She is origin and She has not originated from any other higher origin.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 174
175) Bhava-naashini भवनाशिनी – Destroying samsaara संसार , i.e., world-attachment.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 175
Destroyer of Bhava भव , i.e., one’s own world as well.Mother as stated else where acts as a surgeon as well. One of he mysterious ways of mother is to make one , whom She loves the most, miserable to hasten his uplift, striking hammers after hammers and giving shocks after shocks . In this sense, the word can also be interpreted to mean ” Breaker of one’s happy little universe.” Property goes being squandered away, home collapses, beloved turns faithless, children turn disobedient, relatives become enemies, masters become cruel, sympathizers become helpless, dearest die, obliged go ungrateful, kindly treated become prepared to swallow up, etc.
The last drop of relishfulness in anything else except Her and Hers is squeezed out as a bad blood from boil, by all sorts of surgical instruments. She wrecks the little ship and leaves nothing for the ship-wrecked except One Hope in Her.
This revelation of the unpalatable truth should not scare away the immature or Kachchaa कच्चा devotees. Devotees should know that higher and higher tests are laid, as the devotee goes higher and higher and yet at the same time, Mother is merciful enough not to prescribe an insurmountable test, beyond the capacity of the devotee. She prescribes the test fully considering the strength, worth and condition and circumstances and further it is She that arouses the inherent bearing power and grants the satisfaction of having passed through the ordeal most wonderfully.
176) Nirvikalpaa निर्विकल्पा – Without false imaginations This means living straightforward, pure and benevolent life. Without false imaginings , ill-founded notions , building airy castles , or making faulty judgments.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 176
Vikalpa विकल्प is a notion conveyed by mere words, but of which there is no corresponding object possessing reality.
Nirvikalpaa निर्विकल्प also means She that is experienced in the finalmost stage of meditation where subject and object have both disappeared.
There are the principal stages during the devotee’s approach to the Mother : (1)The material universe with relevant desire,knowledge and action therefore, gets thinner and thinner, and is finally obliterated
and the only remains in the mental lake are:- Mother, devotee and all other devotees.
He sings ” Let quarrel with Thee be of the most annoying type, but let there be no universe between us.”
(2) Eliminating the animate universe of other devotees,etc., from the mental picture, by a reverse taunting process. He sings ” Thou hast millions whom Thou lovest and art loved by, but to me Thou art one and one alone.”
(3)Establishing equality to the greatest extent possible, by himself forgetting the difference, and by believing, that Mother also forgets the insurmountable gulf of difference between Her and Her devotee.
He sings ” Thou, forget thyself and make me forget myself.”
(4) Establishing oneness.
He says,” Thou art My Mother and I am Thy Son. I and Thou are one.”
(5) Enjoying the bliss of oneness, with three things alone, the knowledge of I , Thou and the bliss enjoyed.
(6) The feeling of bliss disappears and what remains is I and Thou.
(7) ” I ” disappears . Only ” Thou ” remains.
The Nirvikalpaa Maai-Samaadhi निर्विकल्प महासमाधी is the stage, above these seven stages, when even “Thou” disappears and nothing remains, Neither ” Thou ” remains not even the remotest lingering notion or remembrance about, the inanimate universe, the animate universe,devotees, devotion, bliss, I and Thou. Nothing remains except ,” The One, The Everything , The All.”
177) Niraabaadhaa निराबाधा – Undisturbed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 177
Remover of all obstructions in way of true illumination of Her devotees. When it is realised that the appearance of silver in the shell is deceptive, the delusion gradually vanishes; there is no liability of such an error,for them on whom She has conferred Her Grace.
178) Nirbhedaa निर्भेदा – Without notions of separateness or differences. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 178
” Mother is Supreme Love and The Finalmost, Supreme Ruler, devoid of all differences and is the Destroyer of all differences. Some ignorant persons say,there is a difference between Shakti and the Possessor Shiva, (Mother and Father), but those yogins who meditate and see the reality, recognise the non separateness”.
179) Bheda-naashini भेदनाशिनी – Destroyer of difference and separateness. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 179
Bheda भेद is the dual knowledge; She causes its destruction by the knowledge of reality. Mother removes this differentiation, by generating love internally, and by bringing about the circumstances of being under the similar needs, fears and calamities, externally. Love especially when it is a sex-love, shatters mountains of Bhedas भेद or differentiations. Highest and most acute differences vanish in the sinking ship.
It must be clearly understood that not knowing differences is ignorance.What is required to be practice is overriding the differences.
I am tempted to narrate an incident, when I realised the intensity of the meaning underlying this name. The incident also serves to show what is stated above, viz., in circumstances of being under calamities, etc., the differentiation is removed.
When I was laid down in Ahmedabad hospital in 1934 and was operated upon, Mother attended on me for three consecutive nights, each time not more than about ten minutes at about 2 A.M. On the third night I failed in my faith and getting suspicious whether my eyes were true to me, I moved my hand over the portion where I was bandaged, to make sure by feeling of touch whether my seeing that Mother had untied he bandage , and had healed the wound , was true. I found that it was true. Mother smiled but did not come the next night. For five subsequent consecutive nights, the only two other entities who had accompanied Mother for the first three days , attended as Mother did.
There was the Bhangi भंगी (the night-soil carrier) at the door on duty. Eight nights were thus over; the next night the Bhangi भंगी entered my room at about 3 A.M. and to my most unspeakable surprise talked to me : ” Sir, tonight Maataaji माताजी( Mother) did not come.“ I was stunned. I began to think a Bhangi भंगी – a night soil carrier – to have this knowledge and this Darshanदर्शन ( vision ).
I turned joy-maddened. I sang out “Nirbhedaa” निर्भेदा, “Bhedanaashini” भेदनाशिनी and almost prostrated to him, who was my sweeper. Since then for many nights I used to make him sit with me in the easy chair and showed him Mother’s pictures, and read out articles from Shakti Anka शक्ति अंक of The Kalyan कल्याण from Gorakhpur गोरखपूर .
180) Nirnaashaa निर्नाशा – Imperishable. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 180
Once Her love or devotion begins, it never vanishes.
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND