LALITHA SAHASRANAM ललिता सहस्रनाम MAI SAHASRANAM माई सहस्रनाम
” Mangalaraaja Stava says ,” Where there is worldly enjoyment, there is no salvation; where there is salvation, there is no worldly enjoyment. To the best devotees of Shree Sundari, salvation and enjoyment are both in their hands. They may choose any.” “
731) Priyamkari प्रियंकरी – Causing affection. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 731
732) Naama-paaraayana-preetaa नामपारायणप्रीता – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 732
733)Nandividyaa नन्दिविद्या – The Service evolutionary path for attaining Mother.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 733
734) Nateshvari नटेश्वरी – She that makes the whole universe dance. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 734
735)Mithyaa-jagadadhishthaanaa मिथ्याजगदधिष्ठाना- She that serves as basis of the illusory Universe.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 735 The difference arise in Her just as the mother of pearl is the basis of illusion of there being silver therein. Indeed Mother alone is all this. All other things exist but not as separate from and independent of Her. Mother alone exist in that sense. Mother alone is all this and there is none and never, any other. According to Mother’s Ideal, the universe is the manifestation of Mother, and the universe is real, because, as the Universe and Mother are not different. Universe is real as Mother is real. If clay is real, the pot is also real. Only thing is that, the difference that is made between the pot and the clay is illusory or unreal. The subtle difference between “does not exist,” “is unreal” and “is illusory”, should minutely noted, as without proper understanding, the meaningless misleading parrot-like jargon has thrown so many aspirants out of gear and overboard. Take for instance a sugar and a cow toy and a tiger toy, made of sugar. The cow sugar toy gives happy association while the tiger sugar toy gives unhappy association of thoughts to a child. The child grows up and later, neither the cow toy makes him happy, nor the tiger toy unhappy. Does the cow toy of sugar exist or not.? That it does not exist is meaningless, senseless jargon. Put that toy in the boiling water, the water gets sweet. If you put two such toys it will be doubly sweet. The sugar toy or cow toy exists. The cowness and tigerness of the toy also exists, though for the child alone, and although the existence is illusory. The cowness and tigerness has existence for the Mother and confectioner, as well, but it is unreal existence . It is the difference between cowness and tigerness, that is illusory, and the cow toy nor the sugar toy. Further if a cow or tiger had no existence at any time or anywhere, there could not have been any love or fear. The theory. viz., that the whole universe is illusory is absurd. To the person who puts the toy in boiling water the toy has existence in the shape of sweetness of the water. Thus under the Mother’s Ideal the universe has existence and every object has an existence. It may not exist tomorrow as that object, but it has an existence in another shape. The most correct method of pronouncing judgement about the existence or non existence of a thing would therefore be, not by making an arbitrary decision, but by judging everything by its own quality, condition, circumstances and merit. For an infatuated lover like Tulsidas anxious to meet his beloved, the blackest night does not exist and is broad light day, but to others it is the darkest night. The corpse in the river does not exist, and is a jolly boat purposely kept by the beloved, to enable him to cross the river and the most poisonous serpent hanging from the window, does not exist as a serpent, but is a rope intentionally tied by his beloved enable him to climb up to her room. What exists for one does not exist for another and vice-versa. The universe does exist for one so long as he is affected by it. To say that the whole Universe does not exist is absurd. What is illusory or unreal is the appearance of differences and wrong notions , in and about the Universe. If definition of different words are reduced to plain ideas and qualifying epithets are used, much of the wasteful word-war would be over; because I feel somehow, no true seer saw the Finalmost Irreducible Form of the Eternal Truth in a contradictory form to that which another true seer saw. The difference lies in the conclusion of words , method of expression, partial vision, meaning attached to words, thought-world and emotion-world arising with speaking or hearing of certain words, points on which to lay, stress etc. The most familiar illustration of seven blind men describing an elephant differently and even contradictorily is often quoted. But going even beyond that very satisfactorily explanation, if even an ignorant man describes an elephant as a huge animal who could trample you under his foot in a second , say,if you prick it with a pin, I am sure all the seven blind men with agree with him. The only thing is that he must be the elephant driver, to readily give experience to anyone who doubts the said description.This means God is the Final Supreme Controlling Beneficent Power , proceeding from Infinite Love, which is God’s Finalmost form. Experience of God and Godliness is as true as any living fact and as universal as the coolness of moon, which is the very same for anyone of any clime, colour or age. Experience is same. though expression varies, and going further down, misunderstandings, misinterpretations and word-warfares are innumerable and eternal. The substance to play with it is the very same, as say a pack of fifty two cards. Each intellectual game originator comes forth to frame his own imaginary rules and introduces or creates a game . Within the players of different games themselves there are quarrellings but an outsider only says “They are playing cards.”
736) Muktidaa मुक्तिदा – Giver of salvation. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 736 The Brahma Puraan says ,” Those who worship Supreme Mother whether regularly or irregularly, are not entangled in worldliness. There is no doubt, they are liberated souls.”
737) Mukti-rupini मुक्तिरूपिणी – She that is the salvation Herself. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 737 Salvation is not merely removal of ignorance or Avidyaa, but in a positive way attaining the condition of ever remaining in one’s own bliss. Salvation is therefore in a way, becoming the Absolute self.
738) Laasyapriyaa लास्यप्रिया – Fond of dancing. Female dance is Laasya. Male dance is Taandav. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 738
739) Layakari लयकरी – Causing absorption. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 739
Next the whole of his vast possession of the subtlest knowledge, the most valued experience, the most delicate emotions, the most enlightened wisdom and everything as it were is abandoned. A big shopkeeper has in his shop thousands of things, he knows their uses, their values, their sources, their constituents and and all details about each and everything in the shop.But as soon as he receives heavenly mandate that the queen of the place has accepted him as her son, as the inheritor of Her vast dominion, at a sweep all that knowledge disappears. This Laya stage is described as a peculiar state of mental absorption which is equal to ten meditations.
740) Lajjaa लज्जा – Self-respect sense. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 740 Then a stage comes when with all the remembrance, of the contrasts of himself and Her and his doings and Her doings etc., he gets ashamed of himself. He thinks he does not deserve devotee-ship. He gets ashamed of being called a devotee of Mother, at the idea of his unworthiness.His whole heart and soul as it were gets reduced to the smallest atom of the dust of the Mother’s Lotus Feet. He wishes his whole mind, body and heart may get small and small ( of course condensed ) and may form the dust of Mother’s Feet.
741)Rambhaadivanditaa रंभादिवंदिता- All that is infatuating and maddening in celestial damsels like Rambhaa, Urvashi and others , who are deputed to break the penance of a Muni, proceeds from Mother. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 741
742) Bhava-daava-sudhaa-vrishtih भवदावसुधावृष्टिः- The rain of nectar (falling) in the forest fire or worldly existence. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 742
Just the reverse of this, Mother sometimes spreads forest-fire and scatters away all the worldly happiness-giving possessions, conjugal circumstances and conditions, and snatches away the cup of drink which the devotee thinks to be the nectar, but which Mother wishes them to realize to be poison. Bhava means Shiva, or salvation. The word also can be read as Vasudhaa Vrishtih, means bestower of the gift of wealth. Mother is thus the bestower of worldly enjoyment as also the salvation. Mangalaraaja Stava says ,” Where there is worldly enjoyment, there is no salvation; where there is salvation, there is no worldly enjoyment. To the best devotees of Shree Sundari, salvation and enjoyment are both in their hands. They may choose any.”
743 ) Paapaaranya-davaanalaa पापारण्यदवानला -The forest fire consuming the forest of sin. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 743
Dava ( forest-fire ) means devotion also, which is the means of destroying sin. The Brahma Puraan says, ” The supreme expiation of all sin weather committed knowingly or unknowingly, is said to be the remembrance of the Feet of the Supreme Mother.” The following is quoted from Hindu Scriptures : ” Hear, Oh Devendra, the great supreme secret, which immediately destroys all sin. Possessed of devotion and faith, after purification, stand in solitude, in penitential spirit and repeat the Mother’s sacred name one thousand and eight times. Thus worshipping the supreme Mother any one is released from all sins.”
744) Daurbhaagyatulavaatulaa दौर्भाग्यतूलवाूला – The gale which blows away the misfortunes like the thistles or tufted seeds of reed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 744
745) Jaraa-dhvaanta-ravi-prabhaa ज्वराध्वांतरविप्रभा – The sun-beam which dispels the darkness decay. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 745
746 ) Bhaagyaabdhi-chandrikaa भाग्याब्धिचन्द्रिका -The moon darling of the ocean of good fortune. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 746
The ocean gets extremely joyful, rich, uncontrolled and ready to give over its every possession, on the rise of the Moon, especially on Full-moon days. Thus once the reflection of moon, i.e., Mother’s devotion rises in the heart, good fortunes gets most impatient to reach and deluge the devotees. According to Hindu Mythology, Moon is one of the fourteen wonders of the universe, that came out of the ocean on being churned by deities and demons. The ocean is the father and moon taken to be the feminine gender is his daughter.
747) Bhakta-chitta-keki-ghanaaghanaa भक्तचित्तकेकिघनाघना – The cloud that nourishes the peacocks, viz., the minds of Her devotees. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 747 Mother so much loves Her devotees, that just to satisfy the thirst of Her devotees, She floods the whole universe with rains. A few drops would have sufficed for a peacock,, but the whole universe is blessed with rains , because it has one peacock. The whole universe is blessed because She loves Her one devotee staying in that universe. As some say, the world is so full of sins that were it not for the few virtuous persons and saints and devotees and the few chaste women, the world would not have deserved the bounty, it has been enjoying.
748) Rogaparvatadambholi रोगपर्वतदंभोली – The thunderbolt which shivers the mountain of diseases. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 748
749) Mrityu-daaru-kuthaarikaa मृत्युदारूकुठारिका -The axe that cuts down the tree of death with its pains. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 749
Death here does not mean the physical death of the physical body, but deaths of so many types as ill-fame, poverty, ignorance, lack of self control, defeat, subjugation etc.
750) Maheshvari महेश्वरी- Goddess of Mahesh, i.e., Shiva.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 750 There are two words in the list of names ,viz., Maheshvari and Maaheshvari. One name has proceeded. For Mai-ists, the happy way of understanding distinctions of several names of mother, referring to the relationship of Mother and Shiva, is as under. That power energy of Mother, which has created Brahmaa, Vishnu and Mahesh to be what they are, is Mother energy of theirs. That power or energy which they enjoy, and a result of which, they are able to do their duties and maintain their positions is the Wife energy, where as that power of energy which proceeds to the devotees, on their propitiation, is their daughter energy. The meaning should be taken as suits the context, but generally all the three conceptions should be before the mind. Thus the shortest name Maheshi may be taken to mean Mother Energy. Maheshvari may mean Wife Energy and Maaheshvari may be taken to mean Daughter energy proceeding to the devotees.This difficulty does not arise in case of Vishnu and the name Vaishnavi, in the simplest manner, means the Power of Vishnu, the protecting power, without the complication of the wife or the daughter aspect as in the case of Mahesha. This is so , because Vishnu’s wife has not attained that stage of accepted motherhood for devotees, as Mahesha’s wife Paarvati, as stated in the introduction. Besides taking the innermost view, Vishnu or rather Krishna is more like Mother Herself, in the male form and Mahesha is the highest devotee or worshiper of Mother. While one of the names of Mother is HRIM, that of Vishnu is Hari. Between Mahesh and Vishnu, the former is manlike or husband like and the latter womanlike or wife-like. While reading this remark, which contains view corroborated some times in scriptures and traditions, it should not be forgotten, that under Maiism, husband means the worshiper and wife the wholesale self-sacrificer. A Mai-ist should never harbor any idea of superiority or inferiority between the husband and wife, or the worshipped and worshiper. EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER & MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND
MAI NIWAS, SARASWATI ROAD END, SANTA CRUZ WEST, MUMBAI 400054 INDIA