LALITHA SAHASRANAMA ललिता सहस्रनाम MAI SAHASRANAMA माई सहस्रनाम
131) Shaantimati शांतीमती – Mother is Shaantimati because She confers on Her devotees a mentality which leads to, and is creative of peacefulness ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 131
132) Niraa-dhaaraa निराधारा – Without dependence. Niraadhaaraa also means worshipped in the Niraadhaaraa Manner.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 132
The internal worship of Mother is of two kinds, one with support (Saadhaar साधार) and the other without support, (Niraadhaar निराधार), and the latter is higher. The Saadhaar worship is by mental images ( with form ) and the Niraadhaar worship is by pure intellect (i.e., without form).
In the Saadhaar साधार worship, Mother should be joyfully worshipped in a figure which may also be made up of sacred syllables. The worship described as Niraadhaar, is the absorption of the understanding ( manolaya मनोलय ) in the meditation of Mother. In reality pure intellect is by itself nothing else but the supreme Mother. For the destruction of Samsaar संसार ( worldliness) one should worship the supreme Mother, the Supreme Self, the Witness, the Liberator, being free from the glamour of the manifold universe. By one’s own direct experience of supreme Mother, as including, and in that sense identified with one self. She should be worshipped with much reverence, and it is this worship which leads to salvation.
133) Niranjanaa निरंजना – Stainless. Stain means imperfection.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 133
There are three kinds of imperfects souls or ( Pashus पशु).
- The Influenced. (Sakala). 2. The Influenced and Impure.( Pralaya Kala) and 3. The Influenced, Impure and Ignorant. ( Vijnaana-Kevala).
In these three the second has also the duality of the first and the third has both., the duality of the first and the impurity of the second kind.
The Influenced are those who are subject to the influence of the Maayaa माया , which creates the idea of the duality. These think themselves as separate from Mother, Universe and other souls, and are subject to the influences of the opposite pairs of duality, Happiness and misery, joy and sorrow, pleasure and pain etc.
The impure are those who in addition to the above stated influence are actuated to indulge in evil thoughts , desires and actions as a result of their having been vanquished by desire , pride, avarice, envy, wrathfulness and infatuation, etc.
The ignorant are they who, in addition to the above said influence and impurity, are entirely in the dark and often of perverted judgment and on the wrong line of action. They suffer from the delusion of seeing self in non-self. The ignorant rush in the mudmire, the impure get dragged into it though with open eyes and knowing the results , and the influenced are able to fairly hold their own under normal circumstances but are not fully proof.
Anjana अंजन means black, Niranjan निरंजन means nullifier of delusive outlook. This Anjana has the quality of veiling ( the real truth ) or perverting the insight and belief about the finalmost unity underlying all infinite diversities, owing to its peculiar quality of making one look through dark and black mentalities spectacles and eyes.
134) Nirlepaa निर्लेपा – Without impurity. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 134
Impurity referred to here is principally of action and mind. Mother makes Her devotees free from the impurities of thought, desire and action. She that keeps Her devotees above any evil influence. Lepa लेप is what strongly sticks and has much a stronger power. It is the impurity which pulls back a man from appreciating and living in purity.
Impurities are of three classes. Anva, Karmik, and Maayik, (1) is constitutional, natural or individualistic depending upon one’s nature and physique, permanent conditions of life, environments etc. (2) is due to actions done or being done, or anticipated and (3) is due to misunderstanding, ignorance, worldwormness, lack of true understanding and the lack of self-control.
135) Nirmalaa निर्मला – Without spot.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 135
She is said to be so because She frees Her devotees from the black spot caused by and resulting in continued duality influence , impurity, darkness, ignorance and confusion.
136) Nityaa नित्या –Eternal. She that makes the discriminating faculty of Her devotees permanently in rhyme with eternal truths and stabilised. ललिताहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 136
Though creations are not permanent , their ruler, the Mother, is permanent.
This name Justifies the rejection of the theory of those who say that every-thing and all is imaginary or atleast momentary. ( Kshanika-vijnaana-vaada क्षणैकविज्ञानवाद ). The Laws are eternal.
137) Niraakaaraa निराकारा – Without form. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 137
This, in another sense, means having infinite forms. Mother is neither a Devi, nor a Deva nor a Daitya, nor a human being nor an animal, nor a woman, nor a man,nor an insect, nor quality, nor existence nor non-existence. Mother is that infinite which remains after all negations.
138) Nir-aakulaa निराकुला – She is far from (nir निर) those whose minds are agitated (aakula आकुल ). ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 138
139) Nir-gunaa निर्गुणा – Above the influence of three qualities of Sattwa सत्व, Rajas रजस and Tamas तमस. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 139
140) Nishkalaa निष्कला – Without parts.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 140
Parts or apportionings of Mother are by of imagination only, and without any diminution of the original nature. There is no divisibility or splitability, no breakage of wholeness except in imagination temporarily for understanding.
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND