Lalitha Sahasranama ललिता सहस्रनाम Mai Sahasranama माई सहस्रनाम
11) Panchatanmaatrasaayakaa पंचतन्मात्रसायका – Having the arrows of the five subtle elements. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 11
The five subtle elements viz, sound, touch, sight, taste and smell, are arrows; these are in Her upper right hand. “The arrows are of three kinds; gross, subtle and supreme; the gross are flowers, the subtle are mantras, and the supreme are the vaasanaas. Of the gross arrows two important flowers are the lotus, and the mango-flower. The other three are Raktakairav रक्तभैरव , Kalhaar कल्हार and Indivar इन्दीवर . In the Vaasanaa वासना forms, joy, attraction, confusion, maddening and dying are the five arrows. Some say they are Sankshobhan संक्षोभण (agitation), Dravan द्रवण (wetting), Aakarshan आकर्षण (being attracted), Vashya वश्य (surrendering) and Unmaad उन्माद (being mad).
The plainest thing is that this Mother, the Active Mother, utilizes the very same weapons of noose, elephant-hook, mind and the arrows and Her energies of desire, knowledge and action, to protect, guide, lift and liberate the souls or do otherwise, according as Her Grace goes. One thing is however certain, on the top of everything, that She is for evolutionising and finally liberating one and all.
This is exactly what happens with every energy. How to utilize it is ours. Floods may ruin villages, and may as well create a gigantic hydro-electric power. With the very weapon, one may kill his enemy or commit suicide. The very noose may bind us or our enemies. It wholly depends generally on our desires, thoughts, actions, and natural tendencies, but principally on our devotion and Her Grace.
12) Nijaaruna-prabhaapura-majjat-brahmaanda-mandalaa निजारूणप्रभापुरमज्जतब्रह्माण्डमण्डला Bathing the whole universe with Her own rosy effulgence.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 12
Rosy effulgence is indicative of being happy and cheerful in all respects. The order has been changed here to be in rhyme with the order of importance.
The idea conveyed by these eight names :-
She is Mother (Shree Maataa श्रीमाता ). She helps Her devotees by fighting out the battle for Her devotees against six enemies and all other kinds of enemies (Shri Mahaa Raajni श्रीमहाराज्ञी ). She gives you all that you demand with the liberality of the highest supreme Queen ( Shrimat Sinhaasaneshvari श्रीमत्सिंहासनेश्वरी ). Although the supreme Queen, She loves Her devotees as Her children and is always at the beck and call when the heart burns with the desire of meeting Her and She bursts forth (Chidagni-Kunda-Sambhootaa चिदग्नीकुण्डसंभूता ). Her constant work and occupation is about battering and deifying Her devotees (Bhakta-Kaarya-Samuddyataa भक्तकार्यसमुद्यता ). She is as bright as millions of suns in matter of illuminating Her devotees ( उद्यत्भानुसहसहस्राभा ). She has four hands (as explained in Preface) indicative of the very simple process of Her liberating the devotees ( चर्तुबाहुसमन्विता ). Finally She constantly keeps the whole universe and, much more Her devotees, bathed in happiness and cheerfulness. Wherever you find joy, happiness and cheerfulness, it is simply proof of a greater pervading of Mother’s Grace.
13) Champakaashoka Punnaaga Saugandhika Lasat Kachaa चंपकाशोकपुन्नागसौगन्धिकलसतकचा – Her hair is adorned with the flowers of Champaka चंपक , Ashoka अशोक , Punnaga पुन्नाग and Saugandhika सौगन्धिक ; Her hair gives scent to flowers. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 13
14) Kuruvinda manishreni kanat kotirmanditaa कुरूविन्दमणिश्रेणीकनत्कोटीरमन्डिता – Her crown is resplendent with rows of Kuruvinda कुरूविन्द gems. [ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 14 ]
Kuruvinda is supposed to confer love, prosperity and devotion.
15) Ashtamichandravibhraajadalika Sthalashobhitaa अष्टमीचन्द्रविभ्राजदलिकस्थलशोभिता – Her forehead is as bright and crescent shaped as the moon on the eighth day. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र नाम क्रमांक 15
16) Mukhachandra kalankaabha mriganaabhivisheshakaa मुखचन्द्रकलंकाभमृगनाभिविशेषका – The tiny mark of Kasturi कस्तुरी (musk) on it is like the spot in the moon. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 16
17) Vadanasmara maangalyagrihatoranachillikaa वदनस्मरमांगल्यगृहतोरणचिल्लिका – Her eyebrows are like green auspicious buntings over the entrance arches of the palace of Kaamaraaj कामराज (God of Love).ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 17
18) Vaktralakshmiparivaahachalanminaabhalochanaa वक्त्रलक्ष्मीपरीवाहचलन्मीनाभलोचना – Her eyes are like fishes rapidly moving and playing in the shining water of the tank, viz., the bewitching beauty of Her face. As Fishes nourish their progeny though eyes alone, so also Mother give all nourishment to Her devotees through Her merciful eyes shedding Grace. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 18
19) Navachampaka pushpaabhanaasaadanda viraajitaa
नवचम्पकपुष्पाभनासादण्डविराजिता – Her nose is beautiful like the newly blown champaka flower. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 19
Champak चंपक is the most beautiful flower, with best shape,best colour, and best smell. It is however said that it does not attract bee (who is not faithful to one flower). So also those alone are attracted towards Mother who has a single pointed devotion “of one without second “.
Mother devotees know no God except Mother, if they are true devotees.
20) Taaraakaanti tiraskaari naasaabharanabhaasuraa ताराकांतितिरस्कारिनासाभ॓रणभासुरा – Shining with the jewel on Her nose, which excels the star of Mars in splendour. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 20
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND
MAI NIWAS, SARASWATI ROAD END, SANTA CRUZ WEST, MUMBAI 400054 INDIA