LALITHA SAHASRANAMAM MAI SAHASRANAM
951) Shaashvati शाश्वती – Eternal.She that is worshipped by Her devotees continuously, i.e. with every breath of theirs. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 951
952) Shaashvataishvaryaa शाश्वतैश्वर्या – Giving eternal dominion, and supremacy.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 952
953) Sharmadaa शर्मदा – She that is the giver of happiness. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 953
We have now come by these names and following several forms in which Mother is approached. The first and most common form in which She is restored to is, that which is conceived as achieving our general good and happiness.
954 ) Shambhu-mohini शंभुमोहिनी -Bewildering Shambhoo, who is above infatuation.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 954
955) Dharaa धरा – Earth or Supporter of the universe.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 955
956)) Dharasutaa धरसुता – Daughter of Himaalayaa.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 956
957) Dhanyaa धन्या – She that blesses Her world-leaving devotee with the mental condition of a Fortunate. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र नाम क्रमांक 957
On removing the deadness, ignorance, inversion and desire to abuse Mother’s Grace , Mother gradually makes you fortunate and makes you feel fully satisfied that you are exceptionally fortunate beyond all undreamt of expectations.
Dhanya is one of the four kinds of stages of meditation or emotions with thoughts, through which soul rapidly passes on death bed.
These are known as Artha, Raudra, Dhanya and Shukla.
The first is that kind of meditation which arises through illusion resulting in a desire to possess dominions, pleasures, comforts, recreations, beauties, scents, garlands, jewels, dresses, ornaments etc, making up all luxury, splendour and pleasure.
The second meditation is one in which a dying person remembers how much he had to suffer for the sake of getting these enjoyments , but still is unable to rise above the subduing force of the desire to have enjoyments.
In the case of the third type of meditation Dhanya, one thinks about the future programmes and revises one’s lessons, revives in brains all that is best and useful for pure and peaceful divine life , thinks about the causes and effects ,stumblings and divine helps, etc.,thinks of how to still better increase control over senses and how to be compassionate and useful to others, etc.
In the case of the fourth meditation, one thinks of God alone and unity with God entirely forgetting even the existence of senses and their fields of pleasures, etc.
958 ) Dharmini धर्मिणी – Increaser of religiosity. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 958
Religiosity is the essence churned out by observing the religious requirements. Religiosity is the condition of being what a religion is expected to make of its follower.
Now we try to go over different branches of progress in the spiritual line. The majority of the aspirants go to the path of religion with a view to propitiate Mother to help them in fulfillment of their desires. This is the most popular, common and mass method.
959)Dharmavardhini धर्मवर्धिनी – Increaser of the religious observances.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 959
This Mother generally does by increasing the desire of the devotees to follow the dictates and commandment’s of one’s religion.
960) Lokaatitaa लोकातीता – Transcending all worlds. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 960
Above the abode or world of Vishnu, one should know the great divine city of Shiva. Above the city of Shiva there are three supreme seats, eternal and ever pure, resorted to by Skanda, Shakti and Shiva.Above theses there is the highest summit which is the abode of the Finalmost Mother.
961) Gunaatitaa गुणातीता – Transcending all the attributes .ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 961
962) Sarvaatitaa सर्वातीता – Transcending all. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 962
963)Shamaatmikaa शमात्मिका – She that gives Her devotees the power of so developing the mind as to keep their souls in a position of full undisturbable equilibrium with an equimindedness against the opposite pairs of happiness and misery, richness and poverty, heat and cold, repute and ill-fame, healthiness and illness, etc. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 963
964) Bandhuka-kusuma-prakhyaa बन्धूककुसुमप्रख्या -Resembling the Bandhuka flower. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 964
965) Baalaa बाला- Girl. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 965
This is the name of Mother who often appears in the dreams of Her devotees, in the form of young girl usually playing with Her maids. Tripura Siddhaanta says “Oh beloved one! because Thou playest like child with Thy maids, and Thy devotees, Thou art called Baalaa.”
966) Lilaa-vinodini लीलाविनोदिनीTaking pleasure in amusement.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 966
Lilaa, the play(of the activity) of the Universe.
967) Sumangali सुमंगली – Very auspicious. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 967
Elder’s blessings on obeying and serving them or the well wishing prayer to Mother of some person, whom you have saved from great sorrow painfulness or misery, or given some relief in some manner, often results in a suggestion arising in one’s mind , about some happy future being in store for you and this is confirmed by some good foretelling happenings.
Whenever a man by sudden lift from world-worm-ness begins thinking of serving Mother, some happy things usually follow. Mother is therefore called Auspicious for worldly people.
968) Sukhakari सुखकरी – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 968
969) Suveshaadhyaa सुवेषाढ्या – Decked with most beautiful ornaments.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 969
970 )Suvaasini सुवासिनी – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 970
971) Suvaasinyarchanapritaa सुवासिन्यर्चनप्रीता – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 971
Whereas the previous two words denote the prominent religious qualifications for men, here are those for women.
Mother’s female devotees must be carriers and creators of happiness to all.They must like the most beautiful flowers that spread fragrance of purity, divinity and hilarity all around them.
The third name state that Mother is pleased with the worship of Her by Suvaasinis, worship being nothing else but fulfilment of the condition of their being Suvaasinis . Mother is most pleased with those female devotees that give maximum happiness to others as daughter, wife or mother or the family woman, neighbour, hostess, kind mistress to servants, patroness, donoress, etc.
WOMAN HAS THE INHERENT QUALITY OF BRINGING HAPPINESS. Mother is most pleased with them THAT BY THEIR VERY PRESENCE , and sweet speech make all miseries forgotten, and with them that spread the fragrance of their silent service and self-sacrifice.
In routine religion Suvaasini means a married woman whose husband is alive and Suvaasinyarchanpritaaa means ” She that is pleased by the worship offered by women with their husband alive. ” In Mother’s Ideal however religiosity has no existence without righteousness and therefor I prefer the above interpretation. There is nothing like meritoriousness or meritlessness in only fact of being married or unmarried, being with or without husband or in the condition of the husband being alive or dead.
972) Ashobhanaa अशोभना – Ever and everywhere beautiful. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 972
973) Shuddha-maanasaa शुध्दमानसा – She that helps Her devotees to make chitta-shuddhi, i.e., make their minds as crystallized and purified as a lake in which Mother’s Lotus Feet will be fully and faithfully reflected and as quiet ripple-less as the largest quiet lakes.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 973
974) Bindu-tarpana-samtushtaa बिन्दुतर्पणसंतुष्टा – Pleased by offerings, even though a dropful, or even though with only a drop of devotion. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 974
Bindu also means the central point of the Shree Chakra and the name means She that is pleased by offering however a small dedicated portion of one’s heart and head by a Maiist.
975 ) Poorvajaa पूर्वजा – First born. Born before every thing else. This name means that presuming that every thing has a birth,She is first. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 975
976) Tripuraambikaa त्रिपुराम्बिका – ललिता सहसद्राम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 976
The form of Mother, that presides over the eighth Chakra or the triangles of Shree chakra , being same as Tripuraambaa.
977) Dasha-mudraa-samaaraadhyaa दशमुद्रासमाराध्या – Worshiped by the different positions of fingers (from Sankshobhini संक्षोभिणी to Trikhandaa त्रिखण्डा ). Mother as ruler of Trikhandaa त्रिखण्डा is called Trikhandeshi त्रिखण्डेशी. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 977
From idol or the objective existence in the shape of image, we go the Yantra यन्त्र or Shree Chakra श्रीचक्र . Now, further we dispense with any outside thing as an idol, image or a chakra and resort to Mudraas, which means different figures formed by joining fingers in different positions.
978) Tripuraa-shri-vashankari त्रिपुराश्रीवशंकरी – Same as Tripuraa-Shree. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र , नाम क्रमांक 978
The form of Mother presiding over the fifth Chakra or the outer square.
979) Jnaana-mudraa ज्ञानमुद्रा – This figure is formed by joining the tips of the thumbs and forefingers to a circle.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 979
980) Jnaana-gamyaa ज्ञानगम्या -Where unconditioned nature is to be attained by knowledge, Mother’s unconditioned nature is mere absolute consciousness which is free from limitations, infinite, immortal and supreme.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 980
981) Jnaana-jneya-svaroopini ज्ञानज्ञेयस्वरूपिणी – In the form of knowledge and knowable. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 981
982) Yoni-mudraa योनिमुद्रा – This is another kind of Mudra and is ninth.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 982
Taking the other meaning of this name and the above, She is the giver of happiness due to the company of the illumined and the fair sex.
The two words are indicated to show the two highest types of happiness; mental and physical.
983) Trikhandeshi त्रिखण्डेशी -Ruler of the three divisions of the Panchadashaakshaari Mantra.She , that is pleased by meditation, on the three portions of Her physical form, viz.,the visage, central portion and the Lotus Feet. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 983
Trikhanda is also the tenth Mudraa, i.e., finger figure for meditation and Trkhandeshi means She who is propitiated through that particular Mudraa.
984) Trigunaa त्रिगुणा – Basis of the three qualities. Mother is three- fold by sport.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 984
985) Ambaa अम्बा – Mother. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 985
986)Trikonagaa त्रिकोणगा – Residing in the triangle of the Shri Chakra.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र ,नाम क्रमांक 986
987) Anaghaa अनघा – Annihilator of sins. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 987
There is none equal to Mother in the matter of removing sins. Dear Reader ! if you can share with me without foolish notions of decency. Agha also means in vernacular “motion”. When a baby has spoiled itself, all avoid and run away. When Mother returns , if She has gone a while away Her first work is to cleans the child and suckle it. If the Mother does not return, the baby remained that soiled condition for hours together, in the midst of so many persons and well wishers.
Mother can not bear the sight of the baby being soiled. Tell me who shall do what Mother does ? Even the ordinary mother !!
988) Adbhuta-charitraa अदभुतचरित्रा – Whose ways of redeeming and restoring Her child to Herself are extremely wonderful. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 988
At what moment, with what most usual words Mother effects a life change is unimaginable.
Once a man was on a river bank at the time of eve and the boatman was taking over passengers from one bank to other. When night made things invisible he spoke out in a loud cry “This is now the last turn, come in all that want. Night is fast falling down” – that day changed the whole life of a worldly man to that of devotee.
An extremely greedy old man was ever watchful about economy in the smallest details. even the ordinary home lamp he would ignite and extinguish himself.One day he continued to do his work without igniting the light when night set in and the darling daughter said to him,” At least now will not ignite the lamp? ” This turned him !!
989) Vaanchhita-artha-pradaayini वांछितार्थप्रदायिनी Bestowing the desired objects. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 989
990 )Abhyaasaatishaya-jnaataa अभ्यासातिशयज्ञाता – Known by immense practice. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 990
The aspirant must have a Guru and obedience to him, he should develop a character, he should broaden the outlook and when he should launch upon the life of immense practice.
The degeneration that has recently set in the spiritual world has been due to misunderstanding of the meaning of the word Abhyaasa. Almost every man translate it by “Study”. Abhyaasa means practice. Thousands are under that misunderstanding. A wrong notion has prevailed for centuries, viz., that you must obtain Jnaana and as soon as you are Jnaanin , you have nothing more to do. Sins do not touch you just as water does not touch the lotus.This misunderstanding has been overpowering and that is because common reason is entirely banished while meditating on religion. Mother’s religion states “Knowing is not possessing.”Possessing requires exertion, suffering, patience, etc., Knowledge simply enlightens you as to the goal, and the method of attaining goal, etc. Knowledge is not the end as is wrongly and foolishly understood. Knowing is to enable you to achieve.
Mere knowing does not help you. Having known that there are six enemies, as per, Maai method, you have actually to start on a campaign of controlling and subduing and uprooting them, one after another, by actual practice extending for a certain period , in respect of one after another. The foolish notion is that with the assent to certain beliefs a man advances in spirituality as he advances in age. No !! Nothing is achieved automatically except what yon have actually exerted yourself and died for.That is the main teaching of Maai-method.
No Guru, nor even God can enable you to cross even the smallest obstruction, unless you yourself will it and exert yourself for it. There is no CHOOMANTAR in the Mother’s realm and Mother’s Path.
991) Shadadhvaatita-roopini षडध्वातीतरूपिणी – Transcending the six deities usually worshipped in household worship.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र नाम क्रमांक 991
On him whose mind is purified by the Mantras and worship of Shivaशिव ,Vishnu विष्णु , Surya सुर्य , Ganapati गणपती , Devi देवी and Indu इन्दु or Indra इन्द्र , the knowledge of Mother, who is above all these deities, dawns.
992) Avyaaja-karunaa-murti अव्याजकरूणामुर्ति – Compassionate immeasurably and impartially. Her mercifulness and man’s ungratefulness have made me weep so often, made me break into tears before others. Just yesterday [ 9-5-1938 ] a devotee came to me weeping to inform me that his brother has been taken into custody for defalcation and the surety asked for being for a great amount, there was no possibility of his being released on bail. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 992
I was moved.I felt giddy as I could not find the way and then broke into tears. I told the man I have such a bitter experience of the ungratefulness of mankind that I am now ashamed to pray to Mother for pouring Mercy on suffering souls”. So many have lacked even the most superficial courtesy of a single good word after the calamity ( as of restoring of the lost vision, acquitted and escape from a sure sentence imprisonment) , is over “.
At one place a man was under a criminal trial. The judge had decided to himself that he should be heavily sentenced. All remedies to get the mercy of the judge had failed.On hearing about the Founder he went to his place and in spite of his telling him that he was mere dust,that he had not iota of greater capacity than any other man of the street, would not leave his feet till a promise was given that Mother would show mercy on him. By some great some wonderful happenings he was acquitted. In spite of repeated and repeated and repeated requests, ” Do not forget to thank my Mother when you are released, “Mother wants only a little recognition,” there was not a word even through some one not a letter, not a single going to Mother, not a single desire of Darshan.
Only a month back, the Founder received a very earnest letter from who stated that he and his wife were members of Mother’s Lodge. His wife had been seriously ill. Doctors had left all hopes. He requested the Founder to pray to Mother. It would be foolish to write what people think of the Founder. The Founder replied,”If you honestly believe what you write about the Founder’s relation with Mother, just take a little water, and a few flowers , pray to Mother and promise Her that you would not forget Her obligation. Run then to hospital. If you find the fever is gone, wire to me and do not forget to celebrate Mother’s Mercy to you on ensuing Friday.
Not to neglect the next Friday, Founder had repeatedly and repeatedly requested him. The fever immediately disappeared, as soon as he received letter and prayed. On being assured accordingly at the hospital, he wired to the Founder . But thanks-giving on next Friday was neglected. Ha had to make that indifference good by running down to Poona (Pune) and offer prayers personally to Mother. Again Mother was merciful . Not only on return to Bombay (Mumbai) did he find that all complications had disappeared but even the doctors’ committee’s opinion, viz., that a major operation was indispensable was changed. This letter promise he took from the Founder at 4 A.M. during the night. Husband and wife are now happy and they now regularly pray to Mother on every Friday.
It is the most bitter experience of the Founder that people are so ungrateful that after the calamity is over they do not bestow even a moment’s thought of thankfulness to Mother. Founder has often found that cruel beasts like tigers and lions are more grateful than man.
And yet !! The Founder’s lot is to break his head against the wall when he is taunted by routine religionists and orthodox people ,” You have made Mother cheap like straw “.
But reader !! Are you an atheist or a devotee !! How has Mother consoled the Founder !! Would like to know ? She had often told the Founder in dreams, ” If Thou hast been Servant of my children for My Sake , am I not bound to be what Thou makest me ? ” I presume the world is as it is, and yet my work is to create a love for Mother.
Once a devotee on the river bank saw a scorpion being dragged in the river flood, struggling for life. The devotee out of pity went into the flood and took him up over his hand and began to make his way towards the bank.
The scorpion begins to give stings and with the pain, tears were flowing from the eyes of devotee.Onlookers shouted out,”Throw of the scorpion,” but he would not.
On inquiry as to the cause of his folly he said ,”Mother created a scorpion and a devotee.The scorpion has not failed to fulfil the purpose for which he was made.Should the scorpion be true to its creator and I false to my Mother !!”
Reader ! excuse me, I write only one thing out of hundred that I have experienced. If you are not prepared to excuse me for these outpouring, throw away Mother’s book. What else can you expect from a devotional mind !!
The Finalmost Truth is that Mother will ever remain pouring Her Mercy and man will ever remain being ungrateful. If man is to remain ever ungrateful, God to be ever pouring Mercy must be Mother, and because man is getting more and more absorbed in his own selfishness, greater is the necessity of God being Mother.
993) Ajnaana-dhvaanta-dipikaa अज्ञानध्वांतदीपिका – The lamp that dispels the darkness of ignorance. A boy asks his elder brother about so many things lying in a dark room and regarding there whereabouts, shape, colour etc. Each thing requires a long description. The describer describes it and described-to hears it tiringly. None is sure whether the things will be found. But just then Mother comes in and ignites the lamp in the room. The boy leaves his elder brother and runs to the room. All knowledge that is given by man to man consists of tall lengthy descriptions, never ending; never convincing, nowhere-to leading, but when Mother’s Grace comes in, you need none, you are teacher to yourself. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 993
I do not know how far I am able to carry the idea but Grace is not only like a micro-scope , which enables you to see things which you previously with your naked eye could not see in much larger size and with smallest details fully visible , but some indescribable thing acting in a such a wonderful manner as may be compared to the transfer of a dramatic scene. Every smallest thing of the existing scene is wiped out and entirely new scene which is often just the reverse evolved, absorbing you. As for example, a stingy man who renounces his millions.
When shall I have such Grace, Oh, Mother !! When the Grace is showered, Life, Light and Love are there. You feel conviction of one plus one is two, and experience an indescribable joy.
994) Aabaala-gopa-viditaa आबालगोपविदिता- Known even to children and cowherds. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 994
Baala means Brahmaa , etc., gopa means the protector, or Baalagopa means Krishna, because He was a cow-herd child. She is known to every one from Brahma and Vishnu , down to children. All beings recognize Her in the shape of the idea of ‘I’.
None does not know or feels doubtful about one’s own self. Once She desires Herself to be known to one, She is knowable through any words and any thoughts. She is knowable through world and worldliness itself. She makes Herself most easily knowable through any flimsy experience, emotion , reasoning or happening.
Her hymns, prayers and scriptures are not monopolized in a certain language and series of words. To obtain Her Grace, it is not necessary to leave the world and put on the saffron rob, She is not closed to any beings for worship. She is the mystery of mysteries.
While trying to explain this name. I interpret as corroborating the Truth, viz., the best way of approaching God is by love of a child to Mother. By this name, it is emphatically shown out that it is the simplest method. Every one , even a child and a cowherd ( an illiterate villager ) has the experience of love to the Mother and Mother’s love to the child.
995) Sarvaanullanghya-shaasanaa सर्वानुलंघ्यशासना – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 995
She whose commands are to be obeyed by one and all. Under Mother’s orders, indicated by the movement of Her Her creeper-like eyebrows, Brahma creates, Vishnu protects and Shiva destroys, the universe and universes.
996)Shree-chakra-raaja-nilayaa श्रीचक्रराजनिलाया – Abiding in the Royal Shree Chakra. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 996
Shree Chakra is the body of Mother, assumed for Her worshippers , to worship Her through the Chakra.
997) Shreemat-tripura-sundari श्रीमत्त्रिपुरसुंदरी -The Divine Tripurasundari. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 997
Residing at the centre of the circle, within the triangle of the Shree Chakra.
998) Shree-shivaa श्रीशिवा The eternally beneficent Mother. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 998
999) Shivashaktyaikarupuni शिवशक्त्यैक्यरूपिणी – The union of Shiva and Shakti. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 999
Her nature is the equal essence of Shiva and Shakti. The Supreme Shakti is one with the Shiva Tattva. Like oil and the oil grain. The Maayaa which is usually described as separate from Brahman is not different from Brahman itself. It is impossible to distinguish the difference. The idea is that Mother is one from whom Shiva with Shakti in his heart and Shakti with Shiva in her heart originate.
The main Shaktis are five and they work as under:
Dhumaavati veils, Bhasvati reveals, the Spanda stimulates, the Vibhavi Pervades, the Alhadini nourishes. The Dhumavati Shakti belongs to earth,Bhasvati to fire, Spanda to air, Vibhavi to ether and Alhadini to water. The whole world is pervaded by, and is the working of these Shaktis.
1000) Lalitaambikaa ललिताम्बिका -The Sportive Mother Lalitaa. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 1000
Dedicated to my mother Om Tat Sat Om Shri Aai Sushila Om Tat Sat .
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND
MAI NIWAS, SARASWATI ROAD END, SANTA CRUZ WEST, MUMBAI 400054 INDIA
You must be logged in to post a comment.