LALITHA SAHASRANAM ललिता सहस्रनाम MAI SAHASRANAM माई सहस्रनाम
551) Sarvavyaadhiprashamani सर्वव्याधिप्रशमनी
Alleviating all diseases.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 551
552) Sarva-mrityu-nivaarini सर्वमृत्युनिवारिणी –Alleviating all deaths. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 552
Here physical death is referred to by deaths, but it means untimely, unnatural and unusually fatal, ill-famed or disgraceful and painful death as by serpent bite, drowning, lightning strike, etc.
553) Agraganyaa अग्रगण्या-First to be counted upon and remembered in all happiness and misery.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 553
554) Achintyarupaa अचिन्त्यरूपा – Of a form and nature which is unthinkable. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 554
555) Kali-kalmasha-naashini कलिकल्मषनाशिनी- There is none so merciful as She, as Destroyer of sin the Kali age ( कलियुग ) . ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 555
The Kali age( कलियुग) through which we pass Is Iron age and it is thus described : The Ruler of this age is Personified and bears the name Kali. The period is supposed to be of 432000 years. Kali( कलि) is the friend to sinfulness and enemy of religiosity. Kali कलि works mainly through greed, burstfulness of desires, falsehood, misappropriation, secret, harmfulness, hypocrisy, pride, quarrelsomeness, villainy, dexterity, and feeling of enjoyment in other people sorrows and calamities. Kali’s residing centres are associated with wager, wine, women and wealth, the principal ones being last two ones. Kali ( कलि) begins his work through kings, householders or bread earners and teachers.
Says the Devi Bhaagvat देवी भागवत :
But to counteract all these deplorable vices of the people of Kaliyuga ,( कलियुग) the iron age, there is one extremely great unique advantage. It is that by simple repetition of Mother’s name, Jai Mai जय माई , in spite of all waywardness, disagreeability, weakness and vice, the man or woman who repeats Her name will be saved and led to salvation.
She destroys the sin which necessarily predominates in the Kali age ( कलियुग) and which can not be destroyed by others. The Kurma Puraan says, ” Water is able to quench the fire, the presence of sun to dispel darkness, and the repetition of the names of Mother, to destroy the multitudes of sins in the Kali age.” The remembrance of the feet of Supreme Mother is said to be the highest expiation for sins , consciously or unconsciously committed in Kali age.
One naturally questions ” Why devotion is most suited for Kali age ( कलियुग) people. The reasons are in brief these : (1) The conception of God as Mother at once removes all weakness, diffidence and despairingness, as every child has a claim to Mother (2) There is no weighing of he Grace given in proportion to the devotion. (3) Mother lifts the child in the path of elevation from the lowest stage of vice or incapacity or perversion. (4) She does not demand leaving the world to get salvation. (5) She is approachable for even entirely worldly successes, and does not blight the joys and charms of life by preaching retirement or renunciation. (6)The highest human energy, viz., the sexual energy safeguarded and sublimated as a result of the belief and practice of being a child and seeing every woman as mother, etc.
The Kaliyuga( कलियुग) theory has enshrouded the outlook with fatalism and pessimism. I have heard hundreds of orthodox religious persons saying, “Most terrible Kali has come. It has been sweeping out the last trace of religiosity. Why do you foolishly hope to get oil out of dust by preaching religion ? So many great preachers , hundred times more capacious than you came and went, and the world has been what it was before, if not much worse.”
Mai-istic view offers following solution to the paradox. It says,” Not a single good thought, desire, word, action or effort is lost. The real fact is that we expect results without undergoing even one hundredth of the necessary sacrifice or struggle. Exert, strive , struggle, sweat, not a single atom of your sacrifice is lost or is uncrowned with success. Even a single moment’s pious wish in seclusion known to none except the wisher is not lost. At least wish well of others. Such a wish bears its own fruit.
556) Katyaayani कात्यायनी – The energy, which enables the sages to perform the hardest penance and energy of supernatural powers and luster which is attained on penance. This name means collective form of luster of all the deities. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 556
557) Kaalahantri कालह्न्त्री – Destroyer of “Time-Destroyer” ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 557
558) Kamalaaksha-nishevitaa कमलाक्षनिशेविता – Worshiped by Vishnu, the deity of protection. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 558
559) Taambula-purita-mukhi तांबूलपूरितमुखी -Her mouth is full of betel. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 559
560) Daadimi-kusuma-prabhaa दाडिमीकुसुमप्रभा – Of the hue of a pomegranate flower. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 560
561) Mrigaakshi मृगाक्षी –Fawn-eyed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 561
562)Mohini मोहिनी –Enchanting. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 562
563)Mukhyaa मुख्या – The first. Besides being the principal one above the ordinary deities above referred to, She is the principal one of the main deities as well.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 563
564) Mridaani मृडानी – Power of Shiva. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 564
565) Mitraroopini मित्ररूपिणी –The friend. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 565
She that is worshipped on the basis of relationship. The word Mitra मित्र is indicative of friendliness or well-wishing. This relationship of well-wishing can be in so many relationships as of father and son, master and servant, guru and disciple, love and beloved, mother and son, creator and created, player and plaything, etc. All these relationships are included in this general name.
Mitra मित्र also means Sun besides friend and this name has also the reference to the Sun’s worship through Sandhyaa संध्या by Brahmans ब्राह्मण .
566)Nitya-triptaa नित्यतृप्ता or Anitya-triptaa अनित्यतृप्ता – Ever contended or ever dis-contended.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 566
567) Bhaktanidhi भक्तनिधी – She becomes the treasure to which the devotee looks and on which the devotee counts in all his difficulties. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 567
568) Niyantri नियन्त्री – The Leader. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 568
“Lead me by Thine own hand, choose out the path for me.”
“Be Thou my Guide my strength, my wisdom, my all. ”
” Lead me from Darkness to Light, from Death to Life.”
569) Nikhileshvari निखीलेश्वरी – Ruler of all.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 569
570) Maitryaadi-vaasanaa-labhyaa मैत्र्यादिवासनालभ्या – And how is Mother pleased ? ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 570
She is pleased by extending friendliness, etc., and the inborn desire of extending love and sympathy to all others.
This name in other words says , ” To please Mother Love all and Serve all “, which is the most important teaching of Mother’s Lodge for Maai-ists.
Friendliness etc.means sympathy,compassion, complacency, pity, companionship, cheerfulness-spreading, consoling, helping and guiding others in the path of righteousness, etc.
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES