LALITHA SAHASRANAM ललिता सहस्रनाम MAI SAHASRANAM माई सहस्रनाम
661) Sadasadrupadhaarini सदसदरूपधारिणी – Mother is the foundation and assumes all forms of being and nonbeing.
Sat सत means Mother and Asat असत means Universe.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 661
Sat सत and Asat असत are also the two kinds of knowledge. Sat is knowledge or mental understanding about Mother after, the realization of the unity underlying the Soul, Universe and Mother. It is after this realization alone , that the Universe becomes Asat (non-existent). Asat knowledge means the knowledge which is non existent, but which is contrary to the final truth, and which every soul has , before the above said realization.
Sat and Asat also mean existence and non-existence. Existence is what is permanent and unchangeable, Whatever appears as either as existent or non existent is caused to appear so, by the desire of Mother.
662) Ashtamurtih अष्टमूर्तिः – Eight-formed.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 662
Earth, water,fire, air,ether, mind, intellect and egoism are the eight forms, of elements, physical astral etc.
“Wealth, intelligence, earth, nourishment, protection, contentment, radiance and stability are the eight forms”, of reliefs and remedies, by which Mother protects Her devotees.
Mother as manifest in the self, makes the self to be of eight kinds, according to the difference of qualities, viz., (1) Elemental Self (Bhutaatman); (2) Embodied soul (Jivaatman) (3) Inner Self (Antaraatman) (4) Wisdom Self (Jnaanaatman) (5) Great Self (Mahaatman) ; (6) Untaintable Self (Nirmalaatman); (7) Positively pure Self (Shuddhaatman); and (8) Supreme Self (Paramaatman).
The most important meaning of eight forms for the Mother worshipper may be taken as under :-
She is Braahmi, Maaheshvari, Kaumaari, Vaishnavi, Vaaraahi, Indraani, Chaamundaa and Mahaalakshmi, and they respectively govern the following emotions of the whole universe and individual souls :
Desire, wrathfulness, greed, infatuation, pride , envy, sin and merit.
These are governing deities, or forces and forms, and according as they are pleased or indifferent or displeased, they favour, remain neutral or obstruct the soul, in their respective fields, through the agency of thoughts, desires and actions.
663)Ajaajaitri अजाजैत्री – She that enables the devotees to conquer the Avidyaa अविद्या (unborn) i.e. ignorance.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 663
664) Loka-yatraa-vidhaayini लोकयात्राविधायिनी-Directing the course of the fourteen worlds.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 664
Managing the worldly relations and duties and maintenance and smooth running of the worldly life of Her devotees in Her individual capacity.
665) Ekaakini एकाकिनी – One alone. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 665
Mother is one without second. Alone, She creates the worlds, alone She establishes them, alone She consumes the Universe. Hence She is called the One.
‘She is one’ and ‘She is many’, (please see the Preface). Though She is one , She is everywhere and cognised as many by limitations.Just as the crystal looks coloured, by the transmission of the different colours, just as one cloud become many retaining the same nature and colour, just as the rain from the sky assumes various tastes and colors according to the soil, just as the one fire takes different shapes, and just as wind is said to be differently odorous, so also Mother is said by the wise to be one and many.
Mother is One alone, to Her devotees as seen in their single mindedness during their sublime most period of devotion; and Mother is many while they move in the Universe and deals with hundreds of humanity and hundreds of experiences of desires , thoughts, emotions and actions etc.
666) Bhooma-roopaa भूमरूपा – Aggregate of all things.
She is one, She is many, without or with limitations, respectively. She is all, all yet not all.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 666
667) Nirdvaitaa निर्द्वैता – Without duality. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 667
668) Dvaitvarjitaa द्वैतवर्जिता – Transcending duality. ललिता सहस्रना स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 668
None of the opposite pairs are permanently true, not are they, during the period of their existence, able to exert any permanent influence. Nor can She is be permanently conceived as in two parts. She is goodness, Benevolence, Love and Mercy alone. She is all the best and best alone in spite of all seeming evil, because She alone is both opposite parts, both being of Her making and ever creatable and destructible by Her, at Her sweet will and pleasure.
669) Annadaa अन्नदा – Giver of food.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 669
670) Vasudaa वसुदा – Giver of wealth.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 670
671)Vriddhaa वृध्दा – Old. Devotees humorously cajole Her with “Thou art the oldest being, tottering along Thy stuff, but still not exhausted and not winding up Thy play.” ललिता साहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 671
672) Brahmaatmaikya-svarupini ब्रह्मात्मैक्यस्वरूपिणी – She that is the union of Brahman and Atman, the Supreme soul and the individual soul or the part and the whole.She that establishes, maintains and enlightens the unity of the whole and the part. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 672
673) Bruhati – बृहती – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तो., नामक्रमांक 673
674 ) Braahmani ब्राह्मणी – ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 674
To avoid the last lingering notion that Mother may be in any way connected or pleased with any of the above practices, Mother is immediately described here as Brahmanic. She is Brahman-like, fully Sattvik. Braahmni means full of divine wisdom and crowned with the white flower of Sattvikness of chastity, purity, charity, pity, etc.
675) ) Braahmi ब्राह्मी – The female name of Brahmaa.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 675
As Brahma is sexless or both-sexed there should be no objection to give Motherly feminine name of Braahmi to Brahmaa.
676) Brahamaanandaa ब्रह्मानंदा – Bliss of Brahman, i.e. universality. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 676
Bliss that is experienced when no thought remains except that ” Mother alone exists and none or nothing else exist, independent of Her” is sometimes called Brahmaanada, but that is one popular meaning.The other is the bliss in the relationship with personal Mother taking the whole universe and all its beings to be Her manifestations. the first meaning refers to Impersonal Mother and second to Personal Mother. However as explained before , Mother is both Impersonal and Personal.
Impersonal Mother is realised when the ego has forgotten itself and lost itself,during ecstasy in a stage when there is neither I nor Thou. Where I and Thou remain but whole universe disappears, it is a dealing with the Mother as Personal Mother. When I disappears and only Thou remains it is Prapatti or complete unconditional self surrender. When I and Thou remain but the relation is ” I and Thou are one “, that is Love.When I and Thou alone remain but the relation is that of ” I am Thine”, that is Supreme devotion. When I and Thou remain but the actual relation is “Thou art mine”, it means the selfishness and universe have not completely disappeared, and Devotion is Elementary.
677) Balipriyaa बलिप्रिया -Delighting in the mighty or beloved of the mighty.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 677
The meaning is to be reversed. Those that love Mother or those to whom She is beloved become mighty.
Mighty means able to conquer the six enemies and to overcome nescience.
“Bali” also means accessories of ceremonial worship. Animal sacrifices are defended under this name, stating that She is fond of animal sacrifices.
678) Bhaashaa-rupaa भाषारूपा -In the form of the language which affords the ladder for the expression, communication and uplift of the aspirants to the highest plane through the Grace of Mother and Guru. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र ,नाम क्रमांक 678
679) Brihatsenaa बृहत्सेना – With a mighty miraculously expanding army. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 679
This word and the previous word should be read together.The implied idea conveyed is that SENAA सेना or the powers She deputes to ameliorate or evolve Her devotees are expanding even though they be few in numbers, being of the mightiest prowess. In the usual methods of evolution, a thousand things are being ordained for observance, but when Mother decided to crown Her devotee with success, She enables him to reach the goal by constant practice of only four mightiest things, viz., love, service , devotion and self-surrender, which four again are mere amplification of only one thing, viz., Love to Her.
On the battle-field the opponent who was being baffled by Mother taunted Her by saying,”Why dost Thou pride Thyself so much ? Thy victory is due to the mighty and multitudinous army of Thine and nothing of Thy own prowess.” Mother to convince him of the fact that Her senaa is not only Jayat जयत invincible, but also Brihat बृहत only as an expansion (of fewest individuals), ordered all the fighting powers enter into Herself.
680) Bhaavaa-bhaava-vivarjitaa भावाभावविवर्जिता – Devoid of existence and non-existence. Taking destruction to mean change, destruction of existence is non-existence, and destruction of non-existence is existence. As Mother is above change and eternal, She is above existence and non-existence.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 680
EXTRACT FROM : MOTHER AND MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND MAI
MAI NIWAS, SARASWATI ROAD END, SANTA CRUZ WEST, MUMBAI 400054 INDIA