LALITHA SAHASRANAM MAI SAHASRANAM
601)Daraan-dolita-dirgha-akshi दरान्दोर्लितदीर्घाक्षी – With slowly moving large eyes. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 601
Again, Dara डर means fear, and andolita अन्दोलित means driving out. She whose glances dispel the fear of Her devotees.
602) Dara-haaso-jvalan-mukhi दरहासोज्वलन्मुखी Whose face shines with smiles. ललितता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 602
603) Gurumurti गुरूमूर्ति – In the form of Guru the Teacher. Mother, Guru, Shishya and the Mantra are in such intimate inter-connection that they may be taken to be one.Guru is one who removes darkness. Guru should be a miniature of God who is approachable and available for the incessant practice of attaining the deservedness of efficiently serving Mother. Guru is for the practice of dedication, self-surrender, most honest dealing, confession, obedience, patience and other virtues, which should be sufficiently developed to enable one to gain admission into the realm of higher plane. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 603
Mother is Guru, because so long as Her Grace is not there, you do not recognize the Guru although you are in his company for years together, nor does the Guru feel any inclination to speak with you. It is the Mother’s Grace, which bring about the union of Guru and Shishya and Guru who brings about the union of the individual soul and the universal soul
In some cases Mother Herself becomes the Guru.
604) Gunanidhi गुणनिधिः -The treasure of all virtues. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 604
By company of the Guru and by strict obedience to his instructions, you develop virtues and eliminate vices. Mother is the treasure of all virtues. To the extent that you have the treasure of virtues, you have more of Mother with you.
Guru also means a rope and Nidhi the person to whom the rope is tied. The idea is that during calamities, Mother tightly holds the rope of the boat of Her devotees, preventing them from sinking.
Once Her devotees declare themselves surrendered to Her, She holds them in Her full grip.
605) Gomaataa गोमाता- ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 605
She is Mother, of whatever appears outside, i.e., Vishva. She is Mother of whatever is felt within, i.e., Indriyaas, as well.She is the Mother of heaven, moon, earth, fire, truth and the evolutionary path, and above all, Mother of the divine cow ( Surabhi), which gives whatever is desired. The word “Go”, means all the above , i.e., Indriyas, heaven, moon, earth, fire, truth, faith, path and Divine Cow.
606)Guhajanamabhooh गुहजन्मभूः – Mother of Kaartikeya, who is also called Guha. The word can also be taken to mean “Mother of Jivas “, as Guha means what is covered and refers to the soul, as it is covered by Avidyaa (ignorance).ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र , नाम क्रमामक 606
607) Deveshi देवेशी – Ruler of deities.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 607
608)Dandanitisthaa दण्डनितीस्था – This one word explains the motive underlying the unusual course that Mother takes in some cases,viz., that suggested by such names as A-Varadaa or A-Mati, i.e., giving the boon which would in reality be an immediate evil or giving the sinfulness driving intelligence. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 608
As the proverb goes,” For the horse, only little pull of the bridle is enough , but for the ass needs cudgels as it would walk straight only so long as the smarting effect of the cudgel-beating lasts.”
She, that establishes Her devotees or makes them firmly seated, in the path of morality and restraint by chastisement. If necessary and makes them stand like an adamantine rock, ready to suffer any punishment for the sake of their morality and principles.
609) Daharaakaasharupini दहराकाशरूपिणी -The subtle ether in the heart. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 609
The ether of the heart is Mother. It is here that Mother is worshipped by the higher devotees.
610) Pratipana-mukhya-raakaanta-tithyi-mandala-poojitaa प्रतिपणमुख्यराकान्ततिथीमण्डलपूजिता -She that is worshipped in the family for every one of the fifteen days from the first Tithy (Hindu day) to full moon, and new moon. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 610
611) Kalaatmikaa कलात्मिका – In the form of kalaa. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 611
In the waking state, there are four Kalaas कला (phases)namely, rising, thinking , and maintaining continuity,and relevancy of mental action.The waking state is said to be the function of Shakti. In the sleeping state, the four Kalaas are death, oblivion,insensibility and sleep abounding with darkness, and these belong to Shiva. In the dreaming state the four Kalaas are desire, confusion, anxiety and recollection of sense objects and these belong to Shiva and Shakti unified. In the Turyaa तुर्या state, the four Kalaas are dispassion, desire of salvation, the mind purified by concentrated meditation (Samadhi समाधी) and determination of reality and unreality; these Kalaas belong to the Finalmost Mother.
612) Kalaanaathaa कलानाथा – Master of arts referred to above. Kalaas कला and Vilaasa विलास are to be taken in the above sense when referred to , with respect to Mother.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 612
613) Kaavyaa-laapa-vinodini काव्यालापविनोदिनी -Sporting in potential speech. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 613
She inspires Her devotees to give a masterly speech to Her during Her communion with them and She sometimes pampers them with very sweet words Herself.
The idea is She enables and teaches Her devotees, how to love, how to address, how to please Her, with masterly speeches, She sports.
614) Sachaamara-ramaa-vaani-savya-dakshina-sevitaa सचामररमावाणीसव्यदक्षिणसेविता – Attended, on left and right sides by Lakshmi and Saraswati bearing royal sacred fans. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 614
The goddess of Prosperity and Learning never stay together. Usually learned and godliness-goaled souls are poor while rich people are rarely learned. Here however both stay together. A Mother’s devotee can be rich as also learned.
615) Adishaktih आदिशक्तिः –The Primordial energy.
The cause of the origin of the universe. ललिता सहस्रमनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 615
616) Ameyaa अमेया – Immeasurable. Everything about Her including mercifulness, beauty, love, etc., is immeasurable. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 616
617) Aatmaa आत्मा – Soul.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 617
As different sparks are to fire, so are all Jevaas( souls) to Mother.
Soul or Atmaa is one who obtains , receives and enjoys the objects and exists perpetually.
All bodies of embodied souls are the representations of Shakti and all embodied souls are sparks of Shiva.
618)Paramaa परमा – Paramaa means supreme. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र ,नाम क्रमांक 618
619) Paavanaakritih पावनाकृतिः – Of purifying figure. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 619
“Penance and knowledge are the means of purifying the soul (Bhutaatman). The knowledge purifies intellect and the soul is said to be on the way to be completely purified on being initiated into the knowledge of the Mother.
A Mai-ist must always remember this secret. ” By disgrace and censure by others, the penance of the devotees is increased. Whereas by adulation, service and worship by others, the penance is destroyed. If you jump at the immediate little return, you loose the highest supreme return.”
620) Aneka-koti-brahmaanda-janani अनेककोटिब्रह्माण्डजननी –The creator of many crores of worlds.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 620
She is the creator of the universes of all physical, subtle and causal forms.
She is the Mother of Viraat, etc., who is the deity of a Brahmaand,i.e., universe. Viraat is the individuality of the collective physical forms ( Sthula sharira ) of the universe, resulting from the combination of the five gross elements, Svaraat is the individuality of the collective subtle forms (Linga-sharira) of the universe. Samraat is the individuality of the collective causal or unmanifested form, which are the causes of the above two ( Karana Sharira).
EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK : MOTHER & MOTHER’S THOUSAND NAMES
AUTHOR : MAI SWARUP MAI MARKAND